Monday, December 31, 2012

Banana Blueberry Bran Muffins!

 It's December 31st! I can't believe that a whole year has already passed. We're literally hours away from welcoming 2013!

I decided to stay home and celebrate with family, since my boyfriend is "sick". Sixth time this month, alone. Crazy, I know. I'm thankful to say that I have gone ill-free, aside from my food poisoning, this year. I'm just a lucky one. For NYE, my family ordered pizza from Pizza Hut and I got an Amy's Roasted Vegetable Pizza. Let me tell you. You haven't had good frozen pizza until you've tried this. If your vegan or not, I don't care. Go to the grocery. Grab this pizza. Cook it. Eat it. Thank me later. I'm not kidding, GO! (Well, don't go yet. You can wait around for a little bit.) Back to NYE, I wanted to make a healthy side for the family since "pizza" isn't the healthiest thing in the world. So I made a side salad that only my grandmother and I ate, because my grandfather can't chew salad, and my uncle "wasn't hungry" even though he was chomping his way through a second slice of pizza. (Fist palm.)

Then the inner baker inside me finally shouted at me.

"Bake something, bake something, bake something!"

So I hit up the family pantry, examining different products, trying to figure out what I could possibly come up with. I noticed a box of unopened oat bran that I had purchased with every intention of using, but unfortunately I never found myself getting around to it. I actually had forgotten that I had some to be completely honest. I thought to myself, today is the day. I'll make Oat Bran Muffins.

As I was setting up in the kitchen, I noticed that my grandmother had purchased some bananas. That's when the light bulb in my head went off and I decided that Banana Oat Bran Muffins, would be my choice of action. Until, that is, I opened the freezer door and noticed my frozen fruit that I keep stocked up on. My eye, caught my blueberries, and the rest is history.

Ladies and Gentlemen.. I give you. Banana Blueberry Bran Muffins.

Ingredients.
  • 1c spelt flour.
  • 6 tbsp sugar.
  • 1 tbsp baking powder.
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt.
  • 1c oat bran.
  • 2 tbsp golden milled flaxseed with blueberries. (plain milled flaxseed would work, also.)
  • 1c ripe bananas, mashed.
  • 1c frozen blueberries.
  • 1/2c unsweetened almond milk.
Directions.
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Prepare 13-cup muffin tin by spraying with pan spray or lining with paper liners.
  2. Shift flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Stir in oat bran. Once fully combined, add in remaining ingridents.
  3. Mix until moistened. Fill muffin tins, almost full.
  4. Bake for 15 minutes.

When the muffins are ready, let them cool for just a few minutes in the pan before turning them out.

I'm sure most of you already know that when you eat something that is loaded with fiber you should always drink an extra glass of water with it. If you didn't know that, well, now you know. If you don't drink the extra glass of water the exact opposite of what you'd expect from a bran muffin will happen.

After the family and I each got our muffin, I froze the leftovers. I did this simply to preserve them. You can always thaw them back out and/or microwave them for whenever you'd like another.

No comments:

Post a Comment