Wednesday, September 12, 2012

"The Happy Herbivore" Hippie Loaf!

I got this idea from Amie, a  lady who is sending me my Vegan Food Swap package this month-details on that later. I got the recipe from her blog. Interested? Here’s the link: http://www.wholesoulvegan.blogspot.com/2012/01/happy-herbivore-hippie-loaf.html.
I’m going to be honest with you. This is my first time ever making an alternative to “meat loaf”. Take note: I was vegetarian for 5 years prior to going vegan last month. But I was in need of a change in the kitchen and change I did! I’m going to be fair with you. I didn’t quite follow Amie’s recipe 100%. I swapped things out and substituted for others. The end result though was still delicious! My meat-loving family enjoyed it as well!

Here’s her recipe/my swap outs & substitutes.
  • 1 can rinsed black beans. [I had frozen black beans in the freezer so I just thawed out about 1 cup.]
  • 1/2 cup diced onion.
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced.
  • 1 large carrot, peeled and shredded. [I didn’t have any regular sized carrots in my fridge. Though I did have baby carrots! So I chopped up 6 baby carrots.]
  • 2 celery stalks, shredded. [I just chopped. I haven’t mastered the art of “shredding” yet.]
  • 1 cup chopped mushrooms.
  • 1 cup cooked quinoa. [I didn’t have any quinoa on hand but I did have cooked germinated brown rice in the fridge. So I substituted brown rice for the quinoa.]
  • 1 TBSP Italian Seasoning. [I didn’t use that.]
  • 3 TBSP whole wheat flour. [Again, I didn’t have any on hand. I substituted for organic spelt flour.]
  • 2 TBSP soy sauce. [I don’t like soy sauce. Have you have looked at the sodium content of soy sauce? It’s ridiculous. I didn’t even bother to use any.]
  • 2 TBSP ketchup. [I don’t like ketchup either. I substituted for organic mustard!]
1). Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8 inch loaf pan.
2). Mash black beans and combine the rest of the ingredients until evenly combined.
3). Transfer to greased pan and pat down firmly using a spartula.[or spoon like me]
 4). Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Until firm and brown.
5). Allow loaf to cool for 15-20 minutes before serving.





No comments:

Post a Comment